If you’re interested in becoming a volunteer, the following information may help you to decide whether or not you wish to apply for an application form.
- What does the Car Service do?
- What are the requirements?
- How to Apply
The Voluntary Car Service is purely a voluntary scheme which operates under the auspices of the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service who maintain a register of the volunteer drivers. The service is provided by volunteers who, using their own private vehicles, transport patients from the own home address to and from Health Service facilities ie hospitals.
Volunteer drivers are not employed by, or paid by the Ambulance Service, but they do receive a mileage allowance for transporting patients on our behalf.
Drivers also receive reimbursement for telephone expenses incurred while contacting Ambulance Control on matters relating to any changes in planned arrangements eg where a patient is unable to travel.
Before an application can be considered, there are several basic requirements which must be met:
- The volunteer must own the vehicle, which is to be used whilst operating the Voluntary Car Service. All vehicles must be of 4/5 door design, preferably a saloon car, to allow free and easy access to and from the rear seats. All vehicles must be kept clean and roadworthy at all times.
- Volunteers will be asked to nominate at least one fixed day per week (Monday to Friday) when they will be available for Voluntary Car Service duties. The hours assigned per day vary, however, they generally fall between 8.00am and 6.00pm.
- All vehicles must be taxed and insured with comprehensive cover or at least 3 rd party Class A which includes “business use” and “social, domestic and pleasure” cover. It is the volunteer’s responsibility to ensure that they are fully covered by insurance in respect of claims arising as a result of accident or injury to passengers whom they are asked to convey or third parties.
- All convictions, regardless of age, must be declared at the time of applying and subsequently as a Voluntary Car Driver.
To obtain an application pack to apply for the Voluntary Car Service Scheme, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and full address.
Alternatively you can send a self-addressed envelope with postage to the value of 75p to:
Voluntary Car Service Scheme
Human Resources Department
Northern Ireland Ambulance Service HSC Trust
Site 30, Knockbracken Healthcare Park
Your application will be kept on file and we will contact you as and when we need new volunteers. You will then be asked to provide references, attend an interview and undergo a driving assessment.