Our mission statement is:
“The Northern Ireland Ambulance Service will provide safe, effective, high-quality, patient-focussed care and services to improve health and well-being by preserving life, preventing deterioration and promoting recovery.”
At NIAS we have a set of core values which provide common ground, allowing us to work together to achieve shared aspirations. In adopting and endorsing these values, NIAS commits to ‘living’ those values every day in engagement with patients, the public and colleagues providing healthcare services.
- Respect and Dignity: At NIAS we value each person as an individual, respect their aspirations and commitments in life, and seek to understand their priorities, needs, abilities and limits. We take what others have to say seriously and are honest about our point of view and what we can and cannot do.
- Commitment to Quality of Care: We earn the trust placed in us by insisting on quality and striving to get the basics right every time. The basics are:
- Professional and managerial integrity
- Dependable service
- Good communication
- Compassion: We respond with humanity and kindness to each person’s pain, distress, anxiety or need, and search for anything we can do, however small, to give comfort and relieve suffering. We find time for those we serve and work alongside and don’t wait to be asked, because we care.
- Improving Lives: We strive to improve people’s health, well-being and experiences of the health service. We value excellence and professionalism, wherever we find it, in the everyday things that make people’s lives better, as much as in clinical practice, service improvements, and innovation.
- Working Together for Patients: Patients are put first in everything we do. By reaching out to staff, patients, carers, families, communities, and professionals within and outside the health service, we put the needs of patients and communities before organisational boundaries.
- Everyone Counts: At NIAS, we use our resources for the benefit of the whole community and make sure that nobody is excluded or left behind. We accept that some people need more help, that difficult decisions have to be taken, and that when we waste resources we waste others’ opportunities. We recognise that we all have a part to play in making ourselves and our communities healthier.
Our vision is:
“Improved health and well-being for the Northern Ireland community, through safe, effective, high-quality care and services provided by the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service as an integral part of the whole healthcare system.”